It’s that time again, tax season. Everyone is starting to get their documents gathered to head to their tax appointment to see whether or not they will be getting money back, paying money or coming out even with the IRS this year. When you have your tax appointment scheduled, it is Important that you show up with the right documents so you don’t waste your time or your accountant’s time. Mark Dicus & Company is here to talk about what you need to make sure you have before you head into that appointment.
There are a number of personal documents that you need to be sure you have whenever you are meeting with your accountant to go over your taxes. You should have the following things with you:
– Photo Identification
– Social Security Cards for yourself, your spouse and any of your dependents
– Birth Dates for a your entire family
– Bank Account & Routing Number
– 2020 & 2021 Tax Return
You will also need to bring all of the following documents that have to do with your income to your tax return:
– Employment Income: You will need to provide a W-2 that will be given to you from all of your employers over the last year.
– Self-Employment Income: If you are self employed, you will need to bring 1099-NEC and 1099-K forms. You will need to also bring any income that isn’t accounted for on these forms. Don’t forget to bring your records of expenses and estimated tax payments as well.
– Retirement & Disability Benefits
– Unemployment Income
– Other Sources of Income: You may have other sources of income that might include scholarships, sale of stocks or bonds, alimony, etc.
One nice thing about taxes is the deductions that you can claim to help bring your income down and give you a better return. This is done with expenses throughout the year. You will need documentation that shows where these expenses came from though. If you don’t have the documentation to back them up, you won’t be able to claim them on your taxes and lose out on the money.
– Retirement contributions
– State & local taxes
– College tuition & student loan statements
– Charitable donations
– Medical & dental bills
– Childcare expenses
– Mortgage statements & property tax bills
Tax Preparation, Filing, Planning & More in Salt Lake City, St. George, West Valley City, Provo, Orem, West Jordan & Greater Cedar City, Utah
If you are getting ready to meet with Mark Dicus & Company for your tax appointment, you need to make sure that you have the right documents with you when you get here. This will help us ensure you are getting the best return possible. We will help you find deductions that you may or may not know that you are eligible for to help lower your tax bill or increase the amount of money you are getting back from the IRS. Call us today!